Bendigo District RSL Museum
The Returned Soldiers' Memorial Hall was opened on 15 November 1921 by the Earl of Stradbroke as a permanent memorial to all those from the Bendigo area who served in World War One and particularly to those who died in service.
'The Post Office, Soldiers' Memorial and Pall Mall, Bendigo, Vic.'
Rose Sterograph Co., ca. 1921-54
Courtesy of the State Library of Victoria
The design of the memorial hall was by local architect Mr GD Garvin of the architectural partnership, W Beebe and GD Garvin.
The memorial hall was planned to provide accommodation for a club for returned soldiers, a band rotunda and a publicly accessible honour roll.
The Honour Roll was unveiled on Anzac Day, 1926 with 2972 names on bronze tablets fitted on the wall of the loggia.
The Soldiers Memorial is of state significance and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
Visit the Soldiers Memorial and Military Museum on Pall Mall or find this and other sites of war heritage on the new Victorian Heritage Trails app.